Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Out With the Old, In With the New

                           
                          
One of my best friends recently got me thinking about negative associations and how they can ruin a perfectly wonderful thing. Like a song, a restaurant, or even the month of October. Whether it's because you got devastating news on a certain holiday or you and some asshole used to quote a particular movie together, painful attachments can suck the joy right out of many, otherwise blissful, elements of life.......that is, if you let them. Why not say "screw that memory! I'm not going to let some b.s., that was completely out of my control, dictate how I feel about (insert person, place, or thing)." I mean, its obviously easier said than done, but, how empowering would it be to decide what memories to hold on to and which ones to let go?  Everyone always tells you , don't forget your past, it made you who you are , yada yada yada. Of course I'm not suggesting that you abandon the lesson or the experience. I am simply saying that we should take back the control that we have given to that poisonous memory.  Show it/them who is boss. The best revenge is to live well. I am going to be completely real about this. I have a particular bar that I will not go to because of a bad memory with a toxic person. I am going to challenge myself to go there next time an invitation is extended. I am going to walk in, order a drink, have a blast with my friends, and evict the worthless memory from my bank. Everything starts with your attitude and way of thinking. That is something I am still learning everyday. Don't spend one more second of your life allowing a mental ball and chain to dictate your actions or feelings. Decide how you want to feel and feel that way. Now, on a much happier note, I have included a few pictures of some memories that warm my soul. The ones that make you smile and turn the song up louder instead of changing the station. 

 
        
                                                                  (Our Wedding Day)
         
                                             (St Paddys Day '09...Bushwacked Central)
                                       (The Halloween that he flew home and surprised me)


 
  


3 comments:

  1. that quote at the top reminds me of one of my favorite bands, the trishas. their song "one down" is greatness. the same with all of their songs.

    ReplyDelete